Resolved: Can’t play Multiplayer LAN games on Civilization 5
I had a few friends come by to play Civilization 5 (I know, its the slowest game, but at least we don’t lose against the computer). The problem we had is that one of the computers had issues connecting/creating multiplayer games. It was strange that other computers would work but my main computer was the one having issues. Finally I figured out what was going on: Civilization 5 is not compatible with complex network configuration like networking sharing.
As I mentioned Civilization 5 does not work when there are other networking services running like network sharing. In my case I run Hyper-V on my Windows 8, and because I use a wireless network I needed to bridge / share my internet connection between a local network interface for the VMs and my Wireless Network. This is done via the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Service which… surprise: Is not compatible with Civilization 5.
You are unable to host a LAN game of Civilzation 5. When you click the Host Game button nothing happens (just the sound you clicked).
- Open a command prompt as an Administrator (CMD)
- Type: Net Stop SharedAccess
- You will receive a confirmation that ICS was stopped: “El servicio de Conexión compartida a Internet (ICS) se detuvo correctamente.” or ‘Internet Connection Sharing <ICS> -service has been stopped'”
- Option 2: Open the Services Management Console and find Internet Connection Sharing
- Right click the Service and Select Stop.