«

»

Mar 01

Resolved: Get-AzureVM – Requested value ‘enable’ was not found

Resolved: Get-AzureVM – Requested value ‘enable’ was not found

Lately I started to assign ACLs to my VMs and realized this was a very repetitive task and that many of the several ACLs were repeated across the VMs. Because of that I decided I needed to use PowerShell to manage this task and more quickly deploy the same set of ACLs to our Servers. For example, imagine you are trying to configure an external service like CloudFlare and you need to establish the valid IPs from which it may connect to your servers. With 10 entries only for the IPv4 space multiply that by your number of servers and you start getting the idea of the importance of this.

The big problem I am facing is that when I perform Get-AzureVM which is needed to configure the ACLs I get an error:

Get-AzureVM : Requested value ‘enable’ was not found.

At line:1 char:1
+ Get-AzureVM
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo          : CloseError: (:) [Get-AzureVM], ArgumentException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Commands.ServiceManagement.IaaS.

Get-AzureVM : No se puede encontrar el valor solicitado ‘enable’.
En línea: 1 Carácter: 1
+ Get-AzureVM -ServiceName Maker
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : CloseError: (:) [Get-AzureVM], ArgumentException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Commands.ServiceManagement.IaaS.GetAzureVMCommand

After much struggle I found out that this is a problem with the latest February release of the Azure SDK for PowerShell. Uninstalling the currently latest version (0.7.3) and downgrading to 0.7.2.1 solves this issue.

To downgrade simply follow this instructions:

  1. Go to: All Programs and Features and find “Windows Azure PowerShell – February 2014”. You’ll find it has a version number of 0.7.3. Go ahead and click on uninstall.
  2. Go to: https://github.com/WindowsAzure/azure-sdk-tools/releases/ and see if there is a new release with a patch for this error or navigate to 0.7.2 (https://github.com/WindowsAzure/azure-sdk-tools/releases/tag/0.7.2.1) to download a version that works. I recommend the Windows Standalone as it performs the installation steps for you. Simply download (Windows Azure PowerShell – December 2013 Setup) and install.
  3. Accept the agreement and finish the installation.
  4. You’re done! Try performing a Get-VM operation and you’ll see it works now!

It was rough trying to troubleshoot what I was doing wrong when it was the SDK not me. I guess the bright side is that it isn’t always an end user error what breaks things.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: