In Summary: The Gmail to Outlook.com transition process in four simple steps:
- Sign into your Outlook.com account
- Go to this page (also accessible through Outlook.com settings).
- Click the Start button to start the transition.
- Under the “Options” link you can specify that imported Gmail email be placed into a new set of sub-folders if you so desire.
- You’ll be asked to sign into your Google account and grant the Microsoft tool access to your Gmail data.
- The import process will begin. Now go set up auto-forwarding in Gmail.
- You’re Done
If you are concerned about your emails still arriving at Gmail and you have a @gmail.com email address there is nothing you can do about it. At this point you’ll have to email your contacts and ask them to email you now to your @Outlook.com email address.
Here at CloudIngenium we offer email hosting services that allow you to use the Outlook.com mail system with your own domain name, like we do here: [email protected] Not only does your email address look more professional but it gives you the freedom to use any email provider you want. We used to use Gmail but then migrated to Exchange Online while we are migrating other users to the Outlook.com service retaining their email addresses as the domain belongs to them. Organizations of any size can do this!
Set up auto-forwarding and get your Gmail on Outlook.com
- Sign in to Gmail and Outlook.com in separate browser windows.
- Open Forwarding and POP/IMAP in Gmail settings by clicking here.
- Click Add a forwarding address and type in your Outlook.com account like: “[email protected]”.
- Click Next and proceed. Gmail will send a confirmation to your Outlook.com inbox.
- In your Outlook.com inbox, open the confirmation email. You’ll find the confirmation code.
- Go back to Gmail settings, enter the confirmation code and click Verify.
- Click Forward a copy of incoming mail to and choose your Outlook.com account.
- Click Save Changes.